OF INTEREST SPECIFICALLY
TO IACUC MEMBERS
INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL CARE & USE
COMMITTEE (IACUC) MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
All Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee members have
the following responsibilities:
• To be committed to the welfare of animal subjects in research
• To prepare prior to the meeting, by reading thoroughly
and evaluating the assigned protocols based on the principles
and guidelines for the ethical care and use of animals as described
in the federal regulations and UCSF policies.
• To determine which applications, if any, require more
than annual consideration, and to determine which projects, if
any, require verification of any facts from sources other than
• To participate in scheduled site inspections twice a year.
• To approve, to establish any conditions
to protect animal subjects necessary for approval, or to disapprove
research activities reviewed by the IACUC, with full explanation
• To undertake any special projects necessary
to assure that the Committee's decisions are as fully informed
• To request aid of non-voting consultants,
• To respect the confidentiality of review
materials and member discussions.
• To provide advice and counsel to research
groups, departments and individual investigators.
• To review material regarding protection
of animal subjects before it is distributed to campus faculty
and administrative offices.
• To help implement governmental and
University policy regarding animal research.
• To serve for the full two-year term, unless extenuating
circumstances prevent this.
Worksheets for Review
Committee Review Worksheet
• LARC Review
• IACUC Administrative
Site Inspection Forms for IACUC Members
Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee is charged with inspecting
all of the University's animal facilities, including satellite
facilities, at least once every six months. Each site inspection
team is composed
of several IACUC members and one veterinarian from UCSF's LARC
(Laboratory Animal Resource Center).
The National Research Council's Guide for
the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals is used as a basis
for evaluation, and the forms listed below have been developed
to provide specific guidelines and checklists for these site inspections.
• AUA Inspection
Checklist & Description of Terms
Site Inspection Form - LARC Space
Site Inspection Form - PI Space
Site Inspection - Aseptic Surgery
Site Inspection - Cagewash
Site Inspection - NIH Cage Space Recommendations
• Veterinary Medical Records Audit .doc format
| .pdf format
If you experience any problems opening these files
please call 476-2197 or email the developer.