All personnel conducting procedures on live animals must be appropriately trained and qualified in those procedures.
- Basic Regulatory and Ethical Requirements (BRER) must be completed every 3 years. Sign up online.
- BRER I is required for all personnel on a protocol.
- BRER II is required for all personnel working with anesthetic agents and/or performing surgery or post-surgical care.
- Species-specific training is also required for all personnel who will be in direct contact with animals. All new animal users with less than one year of experience with their specific species must attend an IACUC course on working with that species. A basic course is offered for rats and mice. For more information, refer to: IACUC TRAINING REQUIREMENTS.
- Rodent Euthanasia Training - As of May 2009, all rodent users must complete hands-on euthanasia training. Registration is available online. [Note: New users signed up for a basic class do not need to register for this course. This training will now be provided as part of the basic class curriculum.]
If you have questions or require assistance, please call the IACUC Office at 476-2197.
Laboratory Animal Resource Center (LARC)
- To purchase or acquire animals from another institution, refer to LARC Animal Acquisition Procedures for information about purchasing animals or call the LARC
Purchasing Office at 476-2204.
IV. Environmental Health and Safety
New P.I.’s who will use radioisotopes,
controlled substances, biological material, or human
tissue in animals must apply to the Office
of Environmental Health and Safety (OEH&S) for
authorization. For information on how to apply, contact
To add a new animal user to an existing
OEH&S authorization, complete the appropriate form,
available on the OEH&S web site forms page.
Please call 476-1300 if you require assistance.
V. Contracts and Grants
For information about contracts, grants, transfer and release
of funding, call the Contracts and Grants Office at 476-2977.
• Laurel Heights Campus Map
• Mission Bay Campus Map
• Parnassus Campus Map /
• Directions to Parnassus Campus
• San Francisco General Hospital Map
• UCSF / Mount Zion Map
• VA Medical Center Map